Regifting Christmas Presents!
With Christmas Day now a distant past within the Christian calendar, it's time to address the topic of regifting Christmas presents and whether it is acceptable in the UK. So, contrary to what many believe, regifting per se is not poor etiquette in British culture. However, it's the way it is executed that is essential.
THE ETIQUETTE RULES FOR REGIFTING CHRISTMAS PRESENTS
- A good memory is vital; the first and most important rule is that the gift should never be returned to the original giver. If in doubt, pop a post-it note on the item, so you don't forget.
- Any regifting should be done honestly considering the new recipient's tastes; just because you have an unwanted gift doesn't mean you can palm it off on someone who would have an equal distaste for the item!
- Always ensure the gift is sent far away from the giver's circle of friends, preferably to someone at the far end of the country.
WHAT IF REGIFTING IS NOT AN OPTION?
What if the unwelcome gift was given by someone who may notice its lack of appearance in your life? Well, here are a few options available to you:
- Come clean and tell them. If it's something of value, I suggest waiting for the pressure of the gift-giving day to pass (i.e., Christmas Day) and then mentioning it.In my experience, we all want perfection for this one day of the year (which is often elusive anyway), but once it has passed, we don't mind if a loved one gently asks if they could exchange a present.
- The second option involves telling a little white lie and works with clothing items; say you loved it, but it didn't fit too well, or perhaps the material irritated your skin, and would they mind if you exchanged it?
- Bring out the item for cameo appearances; this works well for ornaments. When the gift giver visits, pop the item on display. Sometimes protecting others' feelings needs to take priority.I hope you find these tips helpful during a very awkward situation.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
AND BE THE FIRST TO HEAR ABOUT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR IN-PERSON & ONLINE COURSES
We will never sell your information to third parties